Re: KVMs and the 2.6 Kernel

Hal Vaughan on 25/04/06 08:06, wrote:
I've posted before about some mouse problems with the 2.6 kernel. I've finally tracked it down to the KVM. Right now I'm using a 4 port KVM that was never any problem until the 2.6 kernel. Now that I know that the flakey mouse behavior I'm experiencing is from the KVM, I want to replace it. I have heard about people using KVMs with the newer kernels without problems. (I'm currently using Sid with the 2.6.15 kernel, but may be using Ubuntu on a few when Dapper Drake comes out.)

I'm using a Logitech keyboard/mouse combo, both cordless. The mouse is optical and I do use the scroll wheel a lot (that's where the problem is). I don't know if that makes a difference, but it might be worth mentioning.

I am hoping to move to an 8 port KVM. I usually work with some of my systems through ssh, but it would be nice to be able to have 8 ports so I can switch over when needed. If necessary, though, I can use a 4 port. If possible, I'd like to find one with an on screen display. It isn't necessary, but it would be helpful. A quick change time would be helpful, as well. While the 2-6 seconds my current KVM doesn't sound like much, when I'm testing software and have to switch back and forth, it can be a pain.

If anyone is using KVMs that work well with the 2.6 kernel, I'd like to hear what works, what kind of mouse and keyboard you're using and if there are any problems. I've seen some good ones on New Egg, with reviews that said they've used Linux, but the kernel version is never mentioned.

Hi Hal,
I'm using Belkin Omni, now into its 5th year. It's had its fair share of problems, but with the latest upgrade of udev, I think it's OK again.

The worst problem when switching to my linux box (testing on 2.6.12) was that I would have to pull the mouse cable out of the KVM and push it back in, then linux would register it again.

Now it does it, but there's a 1 or 2 second pause which to me is acceptable. On windows there's no pause.

Unfortunately the Belkin Omnicube I bought was one of the last models they sold without flashable ROM. I think if it had flashable ROM, I could upgrade the ROM and get rid of the problem.

So there you go. I'm happy, but you might not be. I'd say, make sure you can return the KVM you buy in case it doesn't meet your requirements, and try another.

Adam