Re: Playing midi?

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:51:30 +0100, Wulfy wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >udev should generate the device for you. As John O'Hagan already
> >suggested, try to modprobe snd_seq and snd_seq_midi. If that works
> >without errors the device should be created. If that goes wrong post the
> >error messages, the output of
> >
> >dpkg -l udev hotplug
> >
> >and the relevant part of lspci so that we know which hardware we are
> >talking about.
> Hi, Florian.
>
> I modprobed  the modules.  KMid no longer throws an error about the
> sequencer.  But still no sound...  None of the four maps it finds seems
> to work.

Hi Wulfy,

This is probably not a good moment to mention it, but I actually have no
clue about how MIDI works. The OP had an error message which suggested
that udev had not created the appropriate node in /dev; this, as
expected, seems to be fixable by probing the necessary modules. Beyond
that I am lost: When I press the "Test MIDI" button in "KDE Control
Center > Sound & Multimedia > Sound System" I hear nothing at all. I
always figured this was because I do not have any external MIDI
instruments attached, therefore I did not investigate it any further.
The rest of my comments was aimed at tracking down a possible udev
problem; this does not seem to matter here, since you do get the node
in /dev.

[...]

> Yewdales-lodge:~# lspci
> 0000:00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
> [SiS] Sound Controller (rev a0)
>
> Now Timidity throws an error "Can't open /dev/dsp"....  :(

Oops. I would hope that this can be fixed by

rmmod snd_seq_midi
rmmod snd_seq
alasconf

--