Re: Playing midi?

Florian Kulzer wrote:

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 17:47:56 -0300, Bruno Buys wrote:
This is debian sarge with marillat multimedia sources. I'm trying to play a midi file, but I get a "Could not open /dev/sequencer to get some info. Probably there's another program using it" error, from kmid. That's the first time I try to open a midi file, so, probably I lack some config. Trying to open Settings > MIDI setup brings me the same window.

What can I do?

Check if /dev/sequencer exists, and if it has the proper ownership and
permissions settings:

$ ls -l /dev/sequencer
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 1 2006-04-22 14:40 /dev/sequencer

/dev/sequencer does not exist. I tried to create it, but the one I created wasn't good enough for kmid.
/dev/.static/dev/sequencer does exist, though.

If that is OK check which process is accessing the device:

$ lsof | grep /dev/sequencer

lsof returns nothing.
I'm installing timidty, cited by wulfy, to see if it succeeds. But being able to play it with kmid would be more desirable, as timidity seem to need freepats which is a 28mb download.

Isn't it just a matter of linking /dev/sequencer to /dev/.static/dev/sequencer?