Re: afraid to upgrade libc6 and libc6-dev

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 07:26:38PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Joris Huizer <jorishuizer@planet.nl> wrote:
>
> > Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you need to reboot after this upgrade? I'm asking because I did the
> > > upgrade on a remote machine with some hardware troubles and I am afraid
> > > to reboot it.
> > >

> > Hmm... if you got a new kernel image you need to restart the machine to
> > use it (untill then it's running with the older version of the kernel)
> > Apart from that there shouldn't be any need to reboot, as I wrote before
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Joris
>
> I knew about the services and kernel part, but wasn't sure about libc,
> as it's a pretty important part of a system. BTW, if you upgrade the
> same kernel you are strongly encouraged to reboot ASAP, because of
> module dependencies.

And if you use lilo to set up bootablility, you'd better run it *before*
you reboot; otherwise it will not be able to find the new kernel.  And
the old one will have been replaced, if it's really just a bugfix of the
same kernel version.

Anybody know about grub in this context?

-- hendrik