afraid to upgrade libc6 and libc6-dev

I'm using Sarge.

I just did an "aptitude update," and now when I attempt to upgrade,
aptitude says that it wants to upgrade libc6 and libc6-dev.

I know that those are pretty critical to the functioning of the system,
so I've temporarily put them on hold, and I'm not upgrading yet.

My question is "why are libc6 and libc6-dev being upgraded?" I didn't
see anything on the http://www.debian.org/security/ site suggesting that
libc6 needed to be upgraded, and I didn't change my sources.list.

This is "stable." Things aren't upgraded unless it's a security concern (or so I thought).

I'm scared to upgrade because I don't want a non-functional system, and
I don't want Etch or Sid.

Here is my sources.list:
#deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r1 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-2
(20051218)]/ unstable contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r1 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-1
(20051218)]/ unstable contrib main

# deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free
deb ftp://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

PS.
It wants to upgrade perl too, and I've also put those packages on hold.