Re: Onboard Modem

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 11:25:18PM +0200, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 18:02 -0300, Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:
> > I have already managed this part.
> > I have got the so called converter, the same used to make PABX output
> > lines to make calls to cell phones form the same operaotr telephone
> > number. I am sure it works.
> My apologies, I assumed too much...
>
> > My problem resides in the mother board.
> OK, as for the modem, you said it's a conexant.  They used to have
> drivers for their HSF and HCF chipsets.  I don't know if they still do,
> I think they changed it so you have to pay for it, but I might be
> confusing them with someone else.  Either ways, those drivers worked
> very well, so if you can make them work, you're set.  They came with a
> install script that pretty much did everything for you, and created
> a /dev/ttyHCF01 or something like that, which is basically the "serial"
> port you use then just like you would use /dev/modem with a normal
> external modem.

AFAIK, a couple months ago, Linuxant was still putting out drivers for
conexant "modems". They had two licensing levels 1) free, (as in beer)
that unlocked the modem to 14.4k and one around $25US, i think that
unlocked fax and full-speed operation. I have to say, its not a bad
deal (without getting into the whole freedom issue) in that my
previously unusable modem now works just fine. Relatively painless
except that most kernel upgrades require a recompile, and there is
that ungly "tainted kernel" message on boot.

For my purposes, it works just fine -- occaisional faxing in or out --
and i didn't feel the price was too onerous. When that modem dies,
I'll replace it with a proper one, but in the meantime, it works.