Re: using apt-listbugs

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 09:30:35AM -0400, Rick Reynolds wrote:
> But attacking this problem from another angle: I'm assuming it's not a
> good idea to do an upgrade from within X.  Is that accurate?  If I ran
> the upgrade within an xterm window, I'd probably not have this alignment
> problem at all.

There's no problem upgrading within X. I've done it for
years. It's just that if you upgrade various X-related
packages, you'll want to restart X. But if you upgrade the
kernel, you'll probably want to reboot your whole system.

> I used to actually do this procedure:
>
> 1. edit /etc/inittab so that the computer boots into a runlevel I've
> created that doesn't include X
> 2. reboot the machine
> 3. ssh into the machine and run the update
>
> But that seemed like a lot of hassle.  I seems "more natural" to do the
> update at the console anyway.

Whoa. You don't need to do all that. For one thing, steps 1
and 2 are redundant: if you really wanted to drop into a
lower runlevel, you can just type 'init [runlevel]' to drop
to that level right away; you don't need to wait for a
reboot.

If you want to stop X, you can just do

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

(or '/kdm stop', or whatever).

But don't worry about stopping X.

As for your earlier problem about scrolling through the
terminal, you can just shift+PageUp/PageDown to scroll.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org