Re: C/C++ toolchain

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:30:33 +0100
"IraqiGeek" <geek@IraqiGeek.com> wrote:

> On Monday, April 24, 2006 5:49 AM GMT,
> Matthew R. Dempsky <mrd@alkemio.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 04:50:54AM +0100, IraqiGeek wrote:
> >> Is there a simple way to install a C/C++ toolchain into debian
> >> (sarge) without having to select each package manually under
> >> aptitude (nor installing everything under the devel category)?
> >
> > The ``build-essential'' package depends on (unsurprisingly) the
> > essential packages for building C/C++ programs under Debian.
> >
> >> However, when I try to compile motor 3.4.0, configure exits with an
> >> error saying ncurses terminal library isnt installed, which according
> >> to aptitude it is, and I have manually installed ncurses-term using
> >> apt-get.
> >
> > You probably need to install libncurses5-dev.
>
> Mathew and Stephen,
>
> Thanks, it was libncurses5-dev indeed. Once I installed it, I was able to
> compile  motor without issues. Hope I now have a basic C/C++ toolchain
> functioning without problems.

just for the record, libncurses5-dev is not part of the c++ toolchain, it's a
library for console menus and such, that is used by that program.

The c++ tool chain requires g++ (which installs gcc and cc) and you probably
also need libc6-dev and libstdc++6-dev for the standard c and c++ libraries.
With that you can build all c++ programs that don't depend on additional
libraries (i.e probably every program in c++ tutorial books, although for some
you also need the stl)

Also, for compiling programs (as opposed to just running them) you need the dev
version of the packages which include all the required header files.