Re: C/C++ toolchain

On Monday 24 April 2006 00:51, IraqiGeek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a simple way to install a C/C++ toolchain into debian (sarge)
> without having to select each package manually under aptitude (nor
> installing everything under the devel category)?
>
> I have installed GCC, G++, glibc, make, autoconf, automake, ncurses5, along
> with all their dependencies. However, when I try to compile motor 3.4.0,
> configure exits with an error saying ncurses terminal library isnt
> installed, which according to aptitude it is, and I have manually installed
> ncurses-term using apt-get.

You would want another package ending in -dev not the ncurses-term. A quick
search here would seem to suggest I would need to install libncurses5-dev to
get the developement files.

apt-cache search ncurses dev

kernel-source-2.4.27 - Linux kernel source for version 2.4.27 with Debian
patches
libaca0 - The Advanced nCurses API -- development files
libncurses5-dev - Developer's libraries and docs for ncurses
libncursesw5-dev - Developer's libraries for ncursesw
librote-dev - a simple C library for VT102 terminal emulation - development
moc - ncurses based console audio player
bochs-term - Terminal (ncurses-based) plugin for Bochs
dav-text - A minimalist ncurses-based text editor
kernel-source-2.2.25 - Linux kernel source for version 2.2.25
php4-cli - command-line interpreter for the php4 scripting language
php5-cli - command-line interpreter for the php5 scripting language
tcd - Portable CD player with an ncurses interface
whiptail - Displays user-friendly dialog boxes from shell scripts
ekg2 - instant messenger and IRC client for UNIX systems

You would do the same search on your machine to see if the package is named
the same in sarge. If you still get errors then you may want to install
apt-file and use apt-file update as root then you can use apt-file search
file/missing.? to find the package which contains the needed file then
install it.

Stephen
--
GPG Pubic Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc