Re: kernel 2.4.32 loading problem

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 02:36:12PM -0700, Aravind wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use vanilla kernel 2.4.32 compiled Debian way based on
> my current config file 'config-2.4.27-2-386' with some minor changes.
> I am currently running etch with kernel 2.4.27-2-386.
>
> I get the following error message during the bootup of kernel  2.4.32:
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hda10" or 03:0a
>  Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount rootfs on 03:0a
>
> Seeing that I am missing an initrd image I tried making one, but it
> fails with the following message:
> # mkinitrd -o initrd.img 2.4.32
> /bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot
>
> Could someone please point me to the right direction? My system is
> running just fine for everything else.

Did you compile with the '--initrd' flag to 'make-kpkg'?  I don't think
you can build an initrd of the image if you didn't (but I could be
wrong).  Try that and see if it works.  note: I'm not a kernel expert so
I could very well be wrong.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
Children aren't happy without something to ignore,