Re: Debian on an iBook

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 12:28:10 +0100, James Dunn wrote:
> I can't find all the characters to type this command!
>
> egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/XFree86.0.log
>
> I guessing my keyboard is not configured properly either - the
> characters I can't find are ^ and ' although there is a similar
> apostrophe.

Don't worry about that now. You can use normal quotes and the ^ character
is not important, it just suppresses the output of one unnecessary line.
For what we need to know the following is fully equivalent:

egrep "\((EE|WW)\)" /var/log/XFree86.0.log

> Here's is the contents of  /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 :
> # XF86Config-4 (XFree86 X Window System server configuration file)

[...]

> Section "Device"
>    Identifier    "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500"
>    Driver        "ati"
>    BusID        "PCI:0:10:0"

This is now identical to what your X server reports as the primary
device in that snippet from /var/log/XFree86.0.log which you posted in
your earlier mail. Therefore I would expect that you now get a different
error message. (Unless there is a mix-up between decimal and hexadecimal
numbers. I now realized that my graphics cards always had device numbers
for which this would not have mattered, therefore I never thought about
it before.)

>    VideoRam    32768
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>    Identifier    "Generic Monitor"
>    HorizSync    28-33
>    VertRefresh    43-72
>    Option        "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>    Identifier    "Default Screen"
>    Device        "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500"
>    Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
>    DefaultDepth    24

[...]

>    SubSection "Display"
>        Depth        24
>        Modes        "640x480"
>    EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>    Identifier    "Default Layout"
>    Screen        "Default Screen"
>    InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
>    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
>    InputDevice    "Generic Mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Section "DRI"
>    Mode    0666
> EndSection

Nothing out of the ordinary, as far as I can see. Check your log file
again. If you cannot get the modified egrep command to work, you can
manually copy "(EE)" and "(WW)" lines from XFree86.0.log which look like
they might be relevant.

One more thing: If you always insert your reply above the quoted
message, it will quickly become impossible for others to follow the
discussion. Therefore this practice of "top-posting" is very much
disliked on this list. Please insert you answers and comments into the
quoted text at the appropriate place to generate a coherent "story".
More information on this topic is available here:
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/du-guidelines.html

--
Regards,
          Florian