Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 09:01 -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Steve Lamb wrote:
> >
> >     I agree.  I'm all for openness and freedom, don't get me wrong.  But I
> > hardly see how openness and freedom that forces people into a certain position
> > is either open or free.  It's just another close position.  If it is our
> > machine then where's the fault in us doing what we want with it?  Especially
> > in cases where a free and open alternative often doesn't exist.
> >

> What if the not-so-open alternative is not redistributable without some
> sort of licensing agreement.  Then the Debian project can strike an
> agrement with the developers, but then you would not be allowed to make
> copies and give them to your friends.
>
> -Roberto

I don't think so. I moved to Debian because it has a strong appeal for
the concept of freedom, and what is close to - to be on your own.

The Debian community is an effort t overcome this loneliness without
taking of the freedom.

In my humble opinion, GPL is the only agreement we need.

Fortuna fortes adjuvat.
--
Ms. Eng. Fernando Augusto Bender
Pesquisador em Controle Automático

Use Linux: http://www.debian.org

Comer, beber e amar. O resto não vale um níquel.
Lord Byron