Re: skype too slow..

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 14:59 +0200, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> Am Freitag 21 April 2006 14:58 schrieben Sie:
> > >
> > > I have no idea how to install skype, but why both of them?

> > > What do you mean, Skype is too slow?
> > >
> > > Frank
> >
> > Also, what are the groups your user belongs to?
>
> ???
>
> I have no idea, what you are meaning. Sorry
> Can you please explain it to me?

I have installed skype on my Debian Sarge.
It was slower than my Mandrake installation. Besides the connections
could not be established and application crashed when I tried to
disconnect.

I finally noticed that my user could not belong to the proper groups.
There is a command 'groups', that shows the groups your user belongs.
Debian does not at automatically created users to the proper groups as
other distributions do. You have to add them by your self. Although
there is a nice GUI for that in Applications/Systems Tools/User and
Groups, you must know what groups to add your user in. Some are obvious.
Some others not.

The groups my user belongs to are:

myself@debian:~$ groups
myself lp dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev users

Try this, at a glance it is necessary, but may not be sufficient. :)

And please, don't send messages direct to me.

Carpe diem!
--
Ms. Eng. Fernando Augusto Bender
Pesquisador em Controle Automático

Use Linux: http://www.debian.org

Comer, beber e amar. O resto não vale um níquel.
Lord Byron