Insalling from floppy to RAID5

I am trying to install from a floppy boot image on to a box that has a raid5 partition scheme. The raid5 partitions are software raid and were set up during the install process.

I know from experience that GRUB fails if installing to JFS, as the sarge version of GRUB does not support that FS, so I am in the practice of making a 100mb /boot partition using EXT2. However, when I install on this box, the install fails at the GRUB install stage, in a manner similar to what happens when I tried to install to a JFS /boot partition.

Inspecting the console it seems that the installer is trying to install GRUB onto hd0.

I think that is the cause. Shouldn't GRUB be going onto the MBR of md1 (which is the /boot partition) instead of hd0?

If this is not the case, can someone help me find out what im doing wrong? I do this *exact* procedure when installing from a sarge install CD set, the only thing im doing different is now im installing to a RAID5 set and not a RAID1 set.

Thanks,
- Naz.

--
MrNaz photo gallery and journal at: