Re: Another bug of debian package --- Validation issue

formless void <formlessv@yahoo.com> wrote:

> There is no excuse for volunatary org not to run
> professionally.
>
> Imagine Red Cross, if they are not running in
> professional way, what would the world be?

While it's flattering to compare the Debian project and the Open Source
Community with the Red Cross (we are, in a way, trying to save people
from bad software), there is a difference. Our users have a choice. We
are not missionaries in regions without other options. There are many
possibilities to choose from.

> If you program for yourself, it is your own business.
> If you program for others, you have got to take the
> responsibility to make it right

And in fact Debian is taking it *very* serious. You should read the
Social Contract. But all the software you get from Debian is licensed,
and one of the clauses of those licenses is that it is your
responsibility what you do with the software. Especially in a case
where you are going against recommendations. Xandros does not support
the use of other packages and neither does Debian.

Install Sarge and *if* you hit problems, we are here to help you
however we can. There are thousands of subscribers to this list
from around the globe. Only IRC might get you faster answers than here.
For this free service (which is better than that offered by many paid
employees of support desks) we would like your questions to be "smart".
Here's the link again:

Please read it
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)