Re: init script editor

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 23:02:22 +0100, Wulfy wrote:
> lostson wrote:

> >>If you're using KDE, ksysv is the tool you want.
> >>

> > Umm I dont use KDE Gnome GTK option ?
> Please reply on-list as it helps others with similar problems...
>
> I don't use GNOME myself, but I think you'll find something similar in
> the gnome-systems-tools package.

If you have disabled all services that you can do without and you are
still unhappy about the boot-up time, you might want to take a look at
the "initng" package. Quoting from the package description:

 Initng is a full replacement of the old and in many ways deprecated sysvinit
 tool. It is designed with speed in mind, doing as much as possible
 asynchronously. In other words: It will boot your Unix-system much faster,
 and  give you more control and statistics over your system.

 The basic premise is that startup commands can be launched as soon as their
 dependencies are met. This limits the effect of bottlenecks like I/O
 operations; while one program is performing I/O, another can be utilizing
 the processor. Initng tracks the individual service dependencies in its
 configuration files.

 It is designed to use a minimum of system resources and to boot your system
 quickly and safely.

 Homepage: http://initng.thinktux.net

--
Regards,