Sound configuration and mount to usb device

Hey List,

I have sarge 3.1 runing smoothly on my desktop. Yet I encountered some difficulties as I'm wanting more features. If any of you could give me some hints regarding to the following items, I would really appreciate it?
  1. How can I make my computer speak or sing? I mean I can see the small speaker icon show at the bottom right of my PC's screen(in window we call it task bar but i don't know how linux name it) but I can not hear any voice. Do I need to apt-get install a particular package to manager my sound machinism? What are their names? I do not know the model of my sound card but it works fine under windows XP system.
  2. How can I mount to my usb port devices? I have a MP3 player. I can plug into USB port and copy & paste content betwen PC's harddrive and MP3 player. But when I switch to Debian, I do not know how to have access to it. The USB port works fine tested by plug in a usb keyboard.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Rocky