Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

The Dutch language has gone through spelling reform. But even so, not all letters have single sounds, and not all sounds have single spellings. What I have noticed, though, is that every case I've seen in which one sound appears to have several spellings, there is some local dialect of Dutch somewhere that pronounces the two spellings differently.

So the persence of local variations in pronunciation is a barrier to further regularization of spelling.

This is a general feature of all languages.

I'm sure the same would be true of English, although I suspect the situation could be much better than it is now.

It is the cause of much of the spelling irregularity in English.
English started out as a collection of mutually unintelligible
dialects, which gradually merged. There used to be commentary
on the "land of eggen" and the "land of eyyen" (the "g" in "egg"
being pronounced variously as a modern "g" or as a "y", compare
with german "Ei"). In various dialects, these words were
pronounced as indicated

through	thruf	throokh	thrau	throw
rough	ruf	rookh	rau	row
bough	buf	bookh	bau	bow
enough	eenuf	eenookh	eenau	eenow

kh = german "ach Laut" or Scottish "loch"
ou = as in "house"
ow = as in "know"
ee = as in "meet"

The pronunciation "eenow" can still be found.

When the dialects merged, some words came from one dialect,
others came from other dialects. So, the spelling, although
at one time consistent, is no longer.

And then there's the Battle of Hastings.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.