Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

Magnus Therning wrote:
I can't believe I'm jumping into this.

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 06:28:54AM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:

* Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [2006 Apr 16 04:13 -0500]:

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 09:13 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

And "c" will still be needed for "ch" (as in "church", not the k
in school/skool).

Don't forget that the non-US pronunciation of "schedule" is soft (sh-edule),

Well, then pronounce it properly! :)

Then why do I hear Aussies (and some others) pronounce 'idea' as
'ide'er', or 'Daytona' as 'Daytoner'?

It's not only Aussies who add 'r' at the end of words, then English do
as well. Especially when two vowels "collide":

So did Jack Kennedy. In my family, we all used to cringe when
he talked about "Cuber". It's called the "instrusive r". In
dialects using it, the "r" is normally dropped also unless it
occurs before a vowel. So, for example, in BAHstan (Boston)
one "pahks the cah" (parks the car). So the "r" at the end
of a word, or before a consonant, is not pronounced, but if
a word ends in a vowel then an extra "r" is added.

And nobody knows why.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.