Re: How to compare the output of two commands?

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 04:07 pm, Sonixxfx wrote:

[...]
> I am using two large commands that both output a pretty large amount of
> text. I want to compare these two lists of text, but I do not want to
> redirect it to textfiles to be able to do that.
[...]

Try

 comm <(command1) <(command2)

which will give you three columns of output: lines unique to command1, lines
unique to command2, and lines common to both. Options to comm are -1, -2
and -3, which suppress the respective column; e.g. comm -13 will only give
lines which are uniquely output from command2.

HTH,

John