make-kpkg clean or modules_image Error. Any way around this?

make-kpkg modules_image Error

Hello,
Got a Wacom tablet (For Christmas) and the latest driver from the Wacom Project.
This then required pulling in packages from unstable to satisfy dependencies.

Now, make-kpkg is broke.
Even make-kpkg clean gives the error shown below.
Still need to compile and install the new binary module for my custom kernel.
Have 15 files of notes but don't know what to print here.
The environment can be changed, but don't know what is correct.
Links were updated but not sure if they are all correct.
The dpkg error says to specify a subarch.
The docs say not to or it will think you are trying to cross-compile.
Alsa and nvidia modules were added before this "upgrade" without problems.
This seems to be an unusual problem and way over my head.
Thank you for your time reviewing this.
Brent

My System:
Athlon XP 3200+
Asus MB
Debian 3.1 Stable and now Unstable
Apt prefers Stable
kernel 2.4.27.071105

asus:/usr/src/linux# dpkg-architecture
DEB_BUILD_ARCH=i386
DEB_BUILD_ARCH_OS=linux
DEB_BUILD_ARCH_CPU=i386
DEB_BUILD_GNU_CPU=i486
DEB_BUILD_GNU_SYSTEM=linux-gnu
DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE=i486-linux-gnu
DEB_HOST_ARCH=i386
DEB_HOST_ARCH_OS=linux
DEB_HOST_ARCH_CPU=i386
DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU=i486
DEB_HOST_GNU_SYSTEM=linux-gnu
DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE=i486-linux-gnu

Command:
asus:/usr/src/linux#
make-kpkg --append-to-version=.071105 --added-modules=linuxwacom-0.7.2 modules_image

Error:
debian/rules:1637: *** Error. I do not know where the kernel image goes to [kimagedest undefined]
The usual case for this is that I could not determine which arch or subarch this machine belongs to.
Please specify a subarch, and try again..  Stop.

History:
Before upgrading got this warning below. Read it was a bug so upgraded dpkg.
dpkg-architecture: warning: Unknown gcc system type i486-linux-gnu, falling back to default (native compilation)
dpkg-architecture: warning: Specified GNU system type i386-linux does not match gcc system type i486-linux-gnu.

Thanks again for your time.