Re: Today's disaster with xorg update

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 07:39 -0700, L.V.Gandhi wrote:

> yes. I did dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig also.
> When I comment out misc line in xorg.conf, I get
> could not open default font 'fixed'
> when I keep misc line, I get another error.
> Anyone with working x can post the fonts they have installed.

Have you moved /etc/X11/xorg.conf out of the way and ran
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org" yet?

Also read /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-core/NEWS.Debian.gz :

        xserver-xorg-core (1:1.0.2-3) unstable; urgency=low

          * With the latest updates of Xorg, we have transitioned from X11R6 to
            X11R7. Part of this transition involves changing the paths to the
            xfonts and the xkb data files, as well as the modules loaded by the X
            server. One way to automatically update the paths is to run
            "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" as root and it will automatically
            generate a new config file for you. Note that this will currently not
            work for people who have customized config files due to a bug, so
            you'll have to manually edit your config if you have customized it
            previously.

          -- David Nusinow <dnusinow@debian.org>  Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:38:51 -0400

and /usr/share/doc/x11-common/NEWS.Debian.gz :

        x11-common (1:7.0.11) unstable; urgency=low

         * With the change to X11R7, various paths have been changed, including
           where binaries are stored. In X11R6, binaries were installed to
           /usr/X11R6/bin and /usr/bin/X11 was a symlink pointing to this
           directory. Now binaries are installed to /usr/bin and /usr/bin/X11 is a
           symlink that points to /usr/bin. As such, any legacy application that
           installs its binaries to /usr/X11R6/bin may be outside your PATH, and
           you will need to update the configuration on your system accordingly.
         * The Debian metapackages used to install all of the X Window System have
           been changed with X11R7. They used to be named x-window-system and
           x-window-system-core. Now there is only one metapackage named "xorg". It
           is highly recommended that you install this metapackage in order to get
           a fully working installation of the X Window System.

         -- David Nusinow <dnusinow@debian.org>  Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:13:17 -0400

--
Chris <nws@cevnet.mine.nu>