Re: Today's disaster with xorg update

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 15:13:28 -0700, L.V.Gandhi wrote:
> On 4/15/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:

[...]

> > > Didn't help here (but I don't have gdm). Unless I include the path to
> > > /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc it complains about no default file, but if I
> > > do include it I get "FPE: "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc" refcount is 2,
> > > should be 1; fixing"
> > >
> > > I have no idea what this means and Google is not enlightening.

[...]

> Today once again I did dist-upgrade. I made mdsum filr for xorg.conf
> and did dpkg-reconfigure. Still x didn't start. Output as below after
> keeping only font lines mentioned by you.

It is not clear to me if you set your font paths as per Chris's original
suggestion, or if you also include the additional path which Anthony
mentions. Please post the "Files" section of your xorg.conf with all the
FontPath commands included.

> X Window System Version 7.0.0
> Release Date: 21 December 2005
>
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
> Build Operating System:Linux 2.6.12-1-686 i686
> Current Operating System: Linux lvgdell600m 2.6.15.20060311 #1 Sat Mar
> 11 15:57:59 PST 2006 i686
> Build Date: 16 March 2006

[...]

> error opening security policy file /usr/lib/xserver/SecurityPolicy

I don't think this is critical, but just to be sure you could create a
symlink to the new location of the SecurityPolicy file:

ln -s /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy /usr/lib/xserver/SecurityPolicy

[...]

> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'
> XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
>       after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>
> Excerpts from log
>
> lvgandhi@lvgdell600m:~$ cat bin/xerrorcheck
> egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.loglvgandhi@lvgdell600m:~$ xerrorcheck
> (WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode disabled

I think this is harmless.

> lvgandhi@lvgdell600m:~$ tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> Synaptics DeviceInit called
> SynapticsCtrl called.
> (II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
> Synaptics DeviceOn called
> (--) Synaptics Touchpad auto-dev sets device to /dev/input/event3
> (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
> (--) Synaptics Touchpad touchpad found
>
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'
> lvgandhi@lvgdell600m:~$

The problem is that X cannot find the default font which it needs.
Hopefully you xorg.conf will tell us why this happens. Also check which
font packages you have currently installed:

dpkg -l xfonts* | grep ^ii

--
Regards,
          Florian