Xorg upgrade with closed drivers

I just did (tried to do) a dist-upgrade on two sid boxes, one my desktop
running the nVidia drivers and the other my laptop, with the ATI fglrx
drivers.

Both upgrades failed miserably.

On the nVidia workstation, it gives me the following:

WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed.
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  libglu1-xorg-dev (due to efl-all)
368 upgraded, 85 newly installed, 32 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
Need to get 301MB/309MB of archives.
After unpacking 52.7MB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?]

On the fglrx laptop, it attempts to remove fglrx-driver, but can't find
a diversion to replace /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2.

Whats the best upgrade path for both of these boxes?

Thanks,
--b