Re: Trying to protect another computer with a gnome-lokkit firewall

Fellow,

I am new in Debian, but I'll try to help you with networks.

If your 'New Debian' PC is connected to the linksys router by the NIC1
and to the 'To be Protected' PC by the NIC2, it should be so,
configured:

NIC2 and 'To be Protected' PC should be i nthe same network address,
different from the network address between NIC1 and your router.

If the this linksys router is your local place main output, your NIC2
should be the gateway address for your 'to be protected PC'. Also, your
NIC1 should have - and it probably already is - configured with gateway
as the router LAN interface's IP.

If your 'to be protected' PC is connected to your New PC only by a
Twisted Pair Cable, (10BaseT, or higher) it shall be a cross-over one.
If this connection is made through a HUB (not using uplink port) or a
switch then it shall be a direct-cable connection.

For having ping response in your New Debian PC, the configuration of
your firewall shall allow ICMP protocol packets. Some security issues -
which I ignore - say not to do it, and I don't know why.

You do not have to write routes to your 'to be protected' pc from your
new debian one, because every network host knows its interfaces' network
address, and will find any adjacent host. But if you intend to ping this
'to be protected' PC fro manother host from the NIC1 network, then the
router shall know - have an entry on its routing table - that:
NIC2 network is reachable from New Debian PC's IP (its NIC1 address)

That's it.

I hope it was helpful.

Good luck and best regards.

--
Ms. Eng. Fernando Augusto Bender
Pesquisador em Controle Automático

Use Linux: http://www.debian.org

Comer, beber e amar. O resto não vale um níquel.
Lord Byron