CDRoaster is playing hard to get

Despite reinstalling CDRoaster in one debian system and setting up another
debian system from scratch with a newly installed CDRoaster, with either
one, when I attempt a burn from a root login, it tells me I'm not allowed to
use it unless I'm logged in as root.  And it doesn't seem to matter whether
I'm using Terminal as root, or whether I've logged into the GUI as root. I'm
running sarge with gnome as my desktop.  At one time in the older system
I could use CDRoaster in a root terminal window.  Not now.

Thanks,
George