Re: Re: Today's disaster with xorg update

<gonhidi@gmail.com> wrote:
<ac@acampbell.org.uk>:

> [...]
done to
worse. I'm now getting a new
/var/log/Xorg.log.0.

packages related to X and
which they are.

resort to that, it will

> > > xserver-xorg*, rather (though if the
dependancies are installed and
> > > uninstalled automatically --as with aptitude--
clearing xorg should
> > > show the rest).
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gonzalo HIGUERA D?AZ <gonhidi@gmail.com>
> >
> > Unfortunately I ended by removing ALL the
X-related stuff, which will
> > have to be reinstalled later. Meanwhile, I still
cannot get X to work. I
> > reinstalled xorg but the same errors recur, i.e.
>
> > 1. Cannot mv /var/log/Xorg.log.o
/var/log/Xorg.log.0

> > If I try as root, the above error does not occur
but instead I get:

> > 2. could not open default font fixed.
>
> > I'm not sure if it is possible to revert to the
earlier xfree86 while
> > this is going on.
> >
> Footnote:
>
> After a bit of googling, I tried adding the "s" flag
to /usr/bin/Xorg
> and this avoids the /var/log problem (though I don't
know if it's the
> Right Thing to do). The font problem remains.
>
> Anthony

I had the same problem.  Simply delete or rename your
xorg.conf file and run "dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xorg."  Reconfiguring will install a new
xorg.conf file with the proper font paths and
settings.

The problem lies in the way Xorg handles upgrading the
.conf file.  It won't touch it if it's been
customized, which unfortunately causes serious
problems when a major upgrade changes the way Xorg
works.

Autumn