gnome-cups-manager and Canon BJC-250

Fellows,

I have recently installed Debian on my PC.
I have migrated from Mandriva 2006, so much of the configuration
concerning peripherals were ignored by me. Now I regret.

I chose the net-installation, method, with only Desktop option in
packages selection.

The printer - Canon BJC-250 - is detected by the hardware.
I have downlaoded and installed through Synaptic the gimp-print,
foomatic and other drivers.

The configuration through gnome-cups-manager is finished, but i cannot
print anything on that printer!
Any document sent to print does not create any entry on Printer's Job
list.

When in connection Tab, it points to Network Pritner, but the printer is
local.
If I chage it to Detected Printer, and close the manager, it does not
update the entry.

I only get an output if I do something like:
echo TEXT > /dev/lp0

What testifies that the printer is running.

It looks like I have no permission for that.

By the way, when I choose: Become Administrator in gnome-cups-manager in
the terminal (the application was started from the terminal window) I
get erros like 'authentication failure' althought the root password is
properly entered and the manager moves on with no error on graphical
desktop.

I am in a loss of what to do now.

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Bender.

--
Ms. Eng. Fernando Augusto Bender
Pesquisador em Controle Automático

Use Linux: http://www.debian.org

Comer, beber e amar. O resto não vale um níquel.
Lord Byron