Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

To put it into perspective, what we think of the Metric system is what the
rest of the world thinks of English measure.  A gigabyte is 1024 MB, not
1000, dammit!

Really? There is a metric byte-system? I've never heard of such a thing. I even live in Canada and use the metric system!

Which in and of itself is interesting: It all comes from the French Revolution ( which means it is a metre, not a meter (that's the inversion of re and er, by the bye.).).

In fact, English is a quarter French (due to the battle of Hastings in 1066 when the French invaded and took over, as the English did to Normandy (Brettagne in French, Britain being Grand Brettagne)), another quarter German (since the Angles (any one here an Anglo?) were Germans) and a third quarter Latin ( since they ruled the known world ). The rest is mostly Greek with other languages (Japanese (Tsunami)) mixed in. I like to think I know a bit about linguistics: It's a passion of mine. Finally, lay is the past tense of the verb to lie. There fore, it is impossible, lest you are a time traveler, to tell some one to lay one's their bed.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.