Re: Best Video Card

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 01:28:09PM -0400, Manaen Schlabach wrote:
> Well I am finally thinking about upgrading my tired old radeon 7500.
> I know that ATI and Nvidia both have decent cards but their drivers
> are completely closed.  I know and understand that companies must
> protect some of their trade secrets but I would like very much to
> support a graphics manufacturer who opens their specs as much as
> possible to opensource and free software developers.  Having said
> that, what are everyones thoughts about which card that might be?  At
> one time it was Matrox are they still the most GNU/Linux friendly out
> there or has someone else taken the lead on that?  I wouldn't mind
> supporting ATi/nVidia if they at least opened up their specs on old
> cards (say older than 3 years) do they really have that much to lose
> by doing so?

I've seen reports that the free nv drivers are now as good as the
proprietary nvidia drivers.  At lest some posters on some of the linux
groups seem to think so.  Now maybe that's true only for a specific
model of nvidia card, and not true in general.

I haven't gotten *either* the nv or nvidia drivers to work with the
GeForce6100 chip on *my* motherboard, so I have seen no effective
difference between them, except the nv driver is easier to install and
uninstall.  I'm hoping the situation changes soon.

-- hendrik