Re: Today's disaster with xorg update

> On 15 Apr 2006, James Westby wrote:
> > On (15/04/06 11:10), Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > > From: Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk>
> > > Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:10:58 +0100
> > > Subject: Today's disaster with xorg update
> > >

> > > After today's upgrade on Sid, X will no longer come up.
> > > The error message says: Fatal server error: could not open default font
> > > "fixed".
> > >
> > > The x fonts are still there however. Anyone else seeing this?
> > >

> > Check the font paths in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, i found they had changed.
> >
> Mine haven't changed

Rather than the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf having changed, it's
where the xfonts-* packages are installing the fonts that seems to
have changed. My 6.9 font configuration pointed someplace, but the 7.0
font files seem to get stored under /usr/share/fonts/X11 instead (off
the top of my head... 'dpkg -L xfonts-100dpi' to confirm). I am not
sure that this will fix things, though.

> and to make matters worse something I've done to
> try to solve the problem has made matters worse. I'm now getting a new
> error about not being able to move /var/log/Xorg.log.0.
>
> I'm seriously thinking of purging all the packages related to X and
> starting again, except that I don't know which they are.

xorg*, I think. I hope that if you have to resort to that, it will
solve your problems.

--
Gonzalo HIGUERA DÍAZ <gonhidi@gmail.com>