Re: Today's disaster with xorg update

On 15 Apr 2006, James Westby wrote:
> On (15/04/06 11:10), Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > From: Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk>
> > Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:10:58 +0100
> > Subject: Today's disaster with xorg update
> >

> > After today's upgrade on Sid, X will no longer come up.
> > The error message says: Fatal server error: could not open default font
> > "fixed".
> >
> > The x fonts are still there however. Anyone else seeing this?
> >

> Check the font paths in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, i found they had changed.

Mine haven't changed and to make matters worse something I've done to
try to solve the problem has made matters worse. I'm now getting a new
error about not being able to move /var/log/Xorg.log.0.

I'm seriously thinking of purging all the packages related to X and
starting again, except that I don't know which they are.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian