Re: Odd mouse behaviour under Sarge / KDE

Mark Fletcher on 15/04/06 05:46, wrote:
Under sarge I'm running KDE. While using KDE I occasionally notice the mouse pointer suddenly jumping around the screen in a manner bearing no relation to the actual movements of the mouse I'm making, and responding to mouse clicks I didn't make. The mouse is a 3-button wheel mouse with a PS/2 style connector.

Doing a dmesg, I notice this in the log when it happens:
psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 3 bytes away.

When it happens, if I take my hand off the mouse and just sit there for a few seconds, during which time nothing happens on the screen at all, I can then start using the mouse normally again. For a while until it happens again.

This happens a couple of times an hour on average I'd say. I am not noticing any obvious trend like it happening more often the longer the machine's been up or anything like that.

I don't see behaviour like this under Windows.

That error message quoted above looks like something in the kernel complaining. I have support for a PS/2 mouse compiled into the kernel.

In the meantime, my X config (XF86Config-4 -- I'm still on XFree86) relating to mice is as follows:
Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier  "Mouse0"
       Driver      "mouse"
       Option      "CorePointer"
       Option      "Protocol" "imPS/2"
       Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
       Option      "Emulate3Buttons"           "true"
       Option      "ZAxisMapping"              "4 5"
EndSection

That is exactly what I see, but it only happens to me when I swap screens with my KVM switch.

It sounds like something just doesn't make the grade in terms of performance. You could try this protocol which I use for a 3 button wheel mouse:

        Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"

You may need to upgrade hotplug if you are still using it, or udev, or both. But I had bad experiences upgrading udev just now, so I'd recommend waiting a couple of months before trying that approach. And I'm using 2.6.16.3 which is stabler than what you have.

Adam