Fwd: Re: lyx-common 1.3.4-2 file has got a loop hole

Thanks for the help, Kevin

I'm using Xandros Network to install the .deb file.
The beauty of the utility is that after each
installation, the program updates the detail of the
package database which is extremely ordered.

Can Synaptic, aptitude do the same thing?  Are these
two programs using the same principle as Xandros
Network do to install the packages?  I mean Xandros
Network do installation following a program written
guidelines  ---- Debian Law :-)

Note: forwarded message attached.

http://mail.yahoo.com
--- Begin Message ---
formless void wrote:

> Has anyone noticed that this file is buggy?
>
> I'm using Xandros desktop and have tried to install it
> onto my system.  However, it asks for lyx-qt and
> lyx-xforms.  When I tried to install the lyx-qt and
> lyx-xforms, they were asking for lyx-common.
>
> I have noticed that when lyx-common asked for lyx-qt
> and lyx-xforms, it did not ask for version numbers
> which are unusual

What program are you trying to install lyx-common with?

If you are using Synaptic, aptitude, apt-get, or another APT front end,
try installing one of lyx-qt or lyx-xforms, and lyx-common should get
pulled in automatically.

If you are using dpkg, you will need to tell it to install two of the
.deb files at once:

dpkg -i lyx-common*.deb lyx-qt*.deb (if you want the Qt interface)
dpkg -i lyx-common*.deb lyx-xforms*.deb ("   "    " xforms interface)

It is highly recommended that you use some APT front-end, not try to
install things with dpkg.  Dpkg is a very low-level tool and not really
suited for package management by itself.

To answer the only question that you explicitly asked :-) you're correct
that circular dependencies are usually considered to be a packaging bug.
 This one has already been reported at http://bugs.debian.org/341848
although it has not yet been fixed.  If you have this kind of problem
with other packages in the future, consider filing a similar bug report.

P.S.  Since you are using Xandros, you should probably go through their
help forums first, not Debian's.

regards,