Re: lyx-common 1.3.4-2 file has got a loop hole

formless void wrote:

> Has anyone noticed that this file is buggy?
>
> I'm using Xandros desktop and have tried to install it
> onto my system.  However, it asks for lyx-qt and
> lyx-xforms.  When I tried to install the lyx-qt and
> lyx-xforms, they were asking for lyx-common.
>
> I have noticed that when lyx-common asked for lyx-qt
> and lyx-xforms, it did not ask for version numbers
> which are unusual

What program are you trying to install lyx-common with?

If you are using Synaptic, aptitude, apt-get, or another APT front end,
try installing one of lyx-qt or lyx-xforms, and lyx-common should get
pulled in automatically.

If you are using dpkg, you will need to tell it to install two of the
.deb files at once:

dpkg -i lyx-common*.deb lyx-qt*.deb (if you want the Qt interface)
dpkg -i lyx-common*.deb lyx-xforms*.deb ("   "    " xforms interface)

It is highly recommended that you use some APT front-end, not try to
install things with dpkg.  Dpkg is a very low-level tool and not really
suited for package management by itself.

To answer the only question that you explicitly asked :-) you're correct
that circular dependencies are usually considered to be a packaging bug.
 This one has already been reported at http://bugs.debian.org/341848
although it has not yet been fixed.  If you have this kind of problem
with other packages in the future, consider filing a similar bug report.

P.S.  Since you are using Xandros, you should probably go through their
help forums first, not Debian's.

regards,