Re: SATA RAID 0 in Debian

chris roddy wrote:
Michael Schurter wrote:
Let me rephrase: how do I setup SATA RAID 0 in Debian?

Were these set up using a hardware RAID controller? You may need to plug
them into a controller of the exact same model to get to the data. The
on-disk format is frequently not interchangeable from one RAID
controller to the next.

Hm. This sounds bad as it was a builtin motherboard controller - Via maybe? Don't have it in front of me. I'm not even sure if it was a hardware or software RAID because Windows required drivers to see it, and (obviously) I never mounted it in Debian. This is a very humbling experience indeed...

I suppose you could attempt to set up a Linux software RAID and present
these drives to it. I wouldn't count on it working, though. The Software
RAID Howto is a good place to start:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

Thanks for the link! It seems a bit outdated (like so many HOWTOs), and I can't tell if any of the instructions would work for "importing" an existing array because of statements like the following: "This should initialize the superblocks and start the raid device." (section 5.5)

Basically, I want to be able to mount 2 NTFS formatted disks readonly as a RAID 0 array with 64kb chunks.

Thanks, for the help!
Michael Schurter