Re: sound volume not persistent between reboots

Found the problem. There was a script in /etc/rc.boot that was calling aumix. Since rc.boot gets called after the rcS.d scripts (and before rc<runlevel>.d scripts) it was negating what alsactl had done for me.

This is just one of several little 2.4.x -> 2.6.x kernel upgrade tweaks I've needed to root out of my system.

Thanks for asking me good questions which inspired me to keep digging until I found it.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
"Released in 1996, Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 cemented the product as the first choice of buggy front-ends to databases everywhere. In fact, if you wanted a buggy front-end to your corporate database, there was no better choice." -- Andrew Orlowski