Re: Xorg upgrade troubles

Žáček Kryštof wrote:
> I agree, but only partially.
>
> look - STABLE is too outdated for desktop,

It's not too outdated for my desktop.  By extension, it's probably not
too outdated for many desktops.

> TESTING is often broken more than unstable (mainly missing
> dependancies or completely missing apps (e.g. K3b was absent
> from testing for many months!)).

A missing app isn't breakage.  The app wasn't in testing for good reasons.

> SID appears to be the best choice
> for Debian desktop (regardless to what official policy states)

For some values of "best".

> and as such it is chosen by many.

Who often do not understand the implications of doing so.

> Yes, I am ready do deal with minor breakages. However, X not
> starting, KDE ot starting ... this is not a minor problem but a
> fatal show stopper.

This is not a fatal show-stopper.  Presumably your data is intact and
your system is usable.  In any case, what do you expect?  Do you not
understand that the bleeding edge is not compatible with stable,
well-tested software?

> This proves lack of software quality testing in the Debian release
> model. In my opinion the released Xorg 7 package belongs still to
> experimental.

It doesn't prove anything.  Last time I looked, unstable hadn't been
released.  If you want tested software, please run stable.  What do you
think unstable and testing are for?  (The clue is in the names.)

Is there any chance you could keep your lines to an appropriate number
of characters?