Re: Xorg upgrade troubles

On Thursday 13 April 2006 6:36 am, Žáček Kryštof wrote:
> look - STABLE is too outdated for desktop, TESTING is often broken more than
> unstable (mainly missing dependancies or completely missing apps (e.g. K3b was
> absent from testing for many months!)). SID appears to be the best choice for
> Debian desktop (regardless to what official policy states) and as such it is
> chosen by many.

Indeed I have been running Sid here for about two years. Works a treat.
> Yes, I am ready do deal with minor breakages. However, X not starting, KDE
> ot starting ... this is not a minor problem but a fatal show stopper. This proves
> lack of software quality testing in the Debian release model. In my opinion the
> released Xorg 7 package belongs still to experimental.

One life saver if you run Sid is apt-listbugs. Assuming there has been a serious
bug reported against it, it will list it and prompt you if you want to upgrade
anyway.

--
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed
 until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson