Can't apt-get install kde for amd64.

Right now, I'm using the mirror at the University of Arizona as my main
debian archive (I guess there's no "official" debian repository for
amd64?).  Oh yeah, I'm trying to run etch/testing.

So after doing an apt-get update, I do an `apt-get install kde', which fails
horribly because of version conflicts in the packages.  So I added the
Texas A&M mirror to my sources.list and tried again, with the same
disappointing results, so at least I know it wasn't my mirrors fault.

So what's happening?  Did I just catch this stuff on a bad day, and things
will be better when I try again?  Is there a bug in the etch packages for
amd64 that I need to report somewhere?  Is there an "official" repository
somewhere that I might have better luck using?

Thanks for any insights.  I'm an old hand at debian, but this amd64 stuff is
brand new to me.

--
Steve Juranich
Tucson, AZ