Re: Running 2 versions of Debian?

Sure.  You can dual-boot Debian Sarge and Debian Etch just as easy as you
can dual boot Debian Sarge with Win XP (or Fedora, or BSD, or whatever
else you'd like).  I've run tri-boot systems before.  As long as you set
them up fully independent of each other, and always configure GRUB from
just one of them, you shouldn't have any issues.

The only major disadvantages are that you'd have to reboot to switch
between systems, and you could be wasting disk space by chopping your disk
up suboptimally.

If you wanted to share stuff between them, that could get messy.  Even
sharing your home partition could cause issues with the saved data for
different versions of some programs, depending on what it is you run.

--
Larry Garfield