Re: Xorg upgrade troubles

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 01:36:00PM +0200, ?á?ek Kry?tof wrote:
> I agree, but only partially.
>
> look - STABLE is too outdated for desktop, TESTING is often broken
> more than unstable (mainly missing dependancies or completely missing
> apps (e.g. K3b was absent from testing for many months!)). SID
> appears to be the best choice for Debian desktop (regardless to what
> official policy states) and as such it is chosen by many.
>
> Yes, I am ready do deal with minor breakages. However, X not
> starting, KDE ot starting ... this is not a minor problem but a fatal
> show stopper. This proves lack of software quality testing in the
> Debian release model. In my opinion the released Xorg 7 package
> belongs still to experimental.

I dunno 'bout proof of anything re: QC from the current status of Sid
(which I run), but I Can say that I've learned to pay attention to good
subject headers when I scan the list for goodies to read.

It was obvious after a 3 day break to the beach that Sid had some
troubles.  Some of those headers were worded almost exactly like yours.
No upgrading at the moment...

More power to those who write good Subject lines!  ;-)

(I guess I run my own QC department.)

I think it's a bit tough to test every gawd-ahwfuhl configuration if
you are one of the (few) maintainers for a given package in this great
distro.  My hat's off to every last one of them!

Kenward

--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,