Re: syslog

Florian Kulzer on 12/04/06 23:08, wrote:
Adam Hardy wrote:
I have way too much logging coming from hddtemp, which outputs a
couple of lines every 5 seconds into /var/log/syslog.

I tried to find a config file to control this but found nothing in
/etc/default/hddtemp, or any reference from man hddtemp.

If you look at /etc/init.d/hddtemp you will see a line which says

SYSLOG="0"

If that number is greater than zero then it is interpreted as the number
of seconds between logging events. You can change this as you like, but
you have to remember this when the next upgrade of hddtemp takes place.
(Unfortunately I did not find a nicer way to set the logging frequency.)

Saw that in the /etc/default/hddtemp file.

It's not the frequency of the polling that I'm worried about - in fact it is currently perfect for my purposes (using it with GKrellM) but what I'm trying to control is where the logging output goes once syslogd has it, configuring it with the syslogd.conf file.