two promise controllers

I'm trying to add a promise fasttrak 66 to my existing system.  it also has an onboard promise controller.

Without the ft66, the 4 drives on the onboard promise work fine and are hde-hdh.  When I put the ft66 in, the drives get seen during boot as hdi-hdm; however they are not accessible in any way.

Any drives on the FT66 appear just fine.

I've tried a recent 2.6 kernel, and a 2.4... the support is obvisouly there for both.. but they just don't seem to want to work properly...

any ideaS?