Re: Experimenting with Debian

On (11/04/06 11:13), Kent West wrote:
> Toby Satchell wrote:
> >I am setting up a dual boot with debian and want to experiment with it
> >as a desktop. I am wondering which would be the best version to go
> >for, Stable, Testing , Unstable. I run Stable at the moment with for a
> >server, but wondering if testing would be a better option for a
> >desktop as I would also like to implement steam under wine(and the
> >other one I can't remember at the moment)
>
> My personal preference is to run Unstable on my desktops. You tend to
> get more breakage in Unstable than in Testing, but it also tends to get
> fixed quicker. IOW, when a breakage finds its way into Testing, you may
> wait a couple of weeks before a fix arrives. When a breakage finds its
> way into Unstable, a fix is usually forthcoming within a day or two.
> Since I have several desktop machines available to me, I just make sure
> I never upgrade them all at the same time; then if a breakage appears,
> it only appears in one machine and I still have several others to use
> until the fix appears or until I can figure out a fix myself.

If you've been using sarge for a while, the move to sid isn't that
daunting.  My advice is to update the system using aptitude and install
apt-listbugs.  They help keep you out of trouble.

Like Kent, I have back up systems but all on the same laptop; I have two
sid systems (xfce and enlightenment) plus Unbuntu and Kubuntu.  I keep
all work files and mail on the server (IMAP) and can work from any of
the 4 systems (plus windows if compelled).

I reality, I first started using sid after about 9 months of stable and
it has never broken badly; most of the issues are from using amd64 plus
a chroot 32bit system for openoffice and flash.  A pure i386 would be
less hassle .....but where's the fun in that :)

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...