Re: Experimenting with Debian

Toby Satchell wrote:
I am setting up a dual boot with debian and want to experiment with it as a desktop. I am wondering which would be the best version to go for, Stable, Testing , Unstable. I run Stable at the moment with for a server, but wondering if testing would be a better option for a desktop as I would also like to implement steam under wine(and the other one I can't remember at the moment)

My personal preference is to run Unstable on my desktops. You tend to get more breakage in Unstable than in Testing, but it also tends to get fixed quicker. IOW, when a breakage finds its way into Testing, you may wait a couple of weeks before a fix arrives. When a breakage finds its way into Unstable, a fix is usually forthcoming within a day or two. Since I have several desktop machines available to me, I just make sure I never upgrade them all at the same time; then if a breakage appears, it only appears in one machine and I still have several others to use until the fix appears or until I can figure out a fix myself.

YMMV.

--
Kent