Re: udev not happy

Adam Hardy on 11/04/06 16:41, wrote:
Adam Hardy on 11/04/06 12:07, wrote:
udev used to be great for me until I tried to upgrade it to work with
libusb and my new handheld. Currently to be able to function, I keep udev uninstalled. If I install udev now, even what I thought
was a stable old version 0.79, it causes havoc:

When I have udev installed, I get this error from the udev start-up script:

Starting hotplug events dispatcher: udevd failed!

But then I see that the udevd is up when I log in. If I do a restart of udev using the start-up script with restart option, it appears to operate normally without giving the failed msg.

This is my mtab:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,size=10M,mode=0755 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0

and here's the fstab:

adam@gondor:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda6       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
#usbfs          /proc/bus/usb   usbfs   rw              0       0

At the beginning of this episode I put that last line in there, but commented it out soon after the problems started.