udev not happy

Hi

udev used to be great for me until I tried to upgrade it to work with
libusb and my new handheld. Currently to be able to function, I keep udev uninstalled. If I install udev now, even what I thought
was a stable old version 0.79, it causes havoc:

- it makes /dev/null unwritable for users
- it disables my hardware sensors in lm-sensors
- it stops console from working, with errors like 'Konsole needs to have read/write access to the PTY devices.'

and more I suspect plus all attendant side-effects thereof.

Initially I tried to get udev to work following these instructions

http://code.pilot-link.org/README.libusb

(if interested, scroll down to the section "how do i configure these
pieces......")

but now I just apt-get removed it.

I need to get it going though! Where do I start? (Having combed the web for inspiration already)

Adam