Re: thunderbird -> kmail

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:56:44 -0400
Kamaraju Kusumanchi <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Frank. I finally made the move and am happy with the change. I solved
> many of the problems. I am answering my own questions here for the sake of
> archives.

Also for sake of archives I would like to defend my Sylpheed-Claws-GTK2

> > 1) Reply to list support
> >     In thunderbird, It is either Reply or Reply to All. Does kmail do a
> > better job in this regard or is it as lame as thunderbird?
> >

> Wow! Kmail's mailing list support is more than what I dreamed of. There is
> reply to list feature. Filtering based on mailing lists is a breeze.

Click on Reply will go to list, unless there is a 'Reply-To' set. In
this case the OP will get a copy. Filtering is not *that* easy to set
up, but there are loads of options.

> > 2) Using other editors
> >     I would like to use vim or gvim to compose my emails. Currently
> > thunderbird does not have any facility to use a custom editor. Does
> > kmail have this feature?
> >

> Just follow http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=302
>
> The basic idea is to use gvim -f %f
> Currently kvim is not available in Debian, unstable. So one has to be content
> with gvim or use the default composer of kmail.

External editor is very easy to set

> > 3) Thread support
> >     Is it possible to sort the messages by threads instead of
> > date/sender etc., This is possible in thunderbird. But I could not
> > figure out how to do this in kmail.
>
> There is thread support. To get thunderbird's behavior I had to do Folder ->
> Thread messages. Then click on Date (Order of Arrival). That's it.

View -> Thread View or press Ctrl-T.

> > 4) Spam and Junk mail control
> >     Thunderbird has very good support in terms of spam filtering. It can
> > even adapt its spam filters as time goes on. How good is kmail in terms
> > of spam filtering? I am not planning to use spamassassin etc., I am
> > looking for in-built spam controls.
> >

> Kmail as such does not come with any spam filtering support. One has to use
> programs such as spamassasin, bogo filter, Annoyance filter etc., The idea is
> to use programs which are good at filtering spam rather than making kmail do
> it. Close to Unix philosophy I think! After reading the help on Tools ->
> Anti-Spam Wizard , I settled onto bogo filter. Cant say anything about its
> performance right now. But I hope it is good.

Sylpheed[-Claws[-GTK2]] can use those as well, just don't know how
difficult it is to set them up, never used that. Maybe I'm just lucky,
but I don't get so much spam

> Overall, in three words - kmail is great!
> Dont know if I will change my opinion and go back to thunderbird in future.
> But
> for now Kmail rocks.

Sylpheed[-Claws[-GTK2]] is very fast. It is definitely faster than
T-bird, and it has more options/features than I will ever use

Andrei
(Albert Einstein)