Re: gnome: switch workspaces via command line?

Ron Johnson wrote:

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 20:33 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 18:01 -0400, Rick Reynolds wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 16:11 -0400, Rick Reynolds wrote:

[snip]
Yes.  I'm aware of that also.  Still wanting a command-line tool.

"gnome-switching-tool --switch-to-left-workspace\n" is 49 keystrokes.

Me, I'll stick with the keyboard shortcuts.

But a shortcut cannot be built into a shell script or C program.

Ok, I'll bite: why do you want to script the ability to switch
workspaces?

libmetacity-dev probably has the API to do what you want, if you
know C.

Ok, here's what I want. I have wired up keyboard shortcuts (in Gnome) to switch to the right and left workspaces using 3ddesk (http://desk3d.sourceforge.net/). However, 3ddesk just about freezes up my machine if I attempt to switch screens using it when I'm running a dual-head setup (basically, anytime I'm docked).

So I've written a wrapper script around the 3ddesk command that queries the xorg.conf file I'm currently using to see if I'm in dual-head mode or not. If I'm not in a dual-head situation, it will call 3ddesk appropriately and I get the fun little animation while switching workspaces. I'd like it to be able to switch workspaces without calling 3ddesk when I'm in dual head mode.

I do know C, so I guess I could work on creating such a tool myself. But I have no experience whatsoever with Gnome's interfaces, etc.

I've also taken the other route as well -- posted a feature request for the 3ddesk tool to be able to switch without animations.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
Win95 is not a virus; a virus does something.